Beginning January 8, 2022, starting pay for teacher associates—also known as paraeducators—will be $15.50. This change includes the negotiated rate for the 2022-23 school year. The teacher associate compensation package is competitive for the Cedar Rapids metro area.
“The board has had a long time vision of finding a pathway to move this forward,” says Superintendent Noreen Bush.
The pay rate of current teacher associates will be increased to $15.50 an hour or by 3 percent, whichever is higher. Currently, 28 Cedar Rapids Community School District teacher associates earn over $20 an hour. As of Thursday, Dec. 16, there are 66 openings for CRCSD teacher associates.
Benefits for CRCSD teacher associates include:
- $15.50 starting hourly pay, beginning January 8, 2022
- Eligible educational reimbursement from University of Dubuque LIFE Program, which provides a pathway to becoming a licensed teacher
- Full benefits if working 30+ hours a week, including:
- $685/month towards health insurance
- IPERS retirement
- 14 paid holidays (most for teacher associates in the area)
Interested in joining the team as a teacher associate? Apply now!
Teacher substitute rates increased
As a reminder, teacher substitute rates increased earlier this year:
- Days 1-10: $15.75/hour
- Days 11-20: $26/hour
- Days 21+: $30/hour
Teacher substitutes do not have to work consecutive or full days to be eligible for the pay increase. Learn more about becoming a teacher substitute here.